Tuesday, April 29, 2014

In Memory of Pascual.

Familia,

The first bit of news I have for you is a little bittersweet. My convert Pascual has been sick for about 3 weeks now. This week his family took him to the hospital to stay. I hadn't been able to see him in these weeks because he was in bed so Hermana Miller and I went and visited him in the hospital. His face and neck were really swollen and he looked completely different. His energy was up, however, and he assured us he would be back at home this next week. On Friday Hermano Luis sent us a message to let us know that Pascual had terminal cancer and on Saturday morning as we walked by his house his neighbor, Gabriela Fernandez, told us he had passed away that morning.

Jen with Pascual
It was a relatively difficult day for me because Pascual has been like a grandfather to me. I have tried not to cry or think too much about it but every now and then it just hits me and I begin to cry again. I am so incredibly blessed to have been a part of his life and to get to know him in these past few months. His baptism was a miracle back in November and I am convinced now more than ever that it was God's plan. In these short months he has shared the gospel with almost all of his friends and family. He has given us references, baptized his grandson, begun his family history and was preparing to enter the temple and receive the Melchizedek priesthood. He received the gospel just in time to bless the last few months of his life and I am at peace now knowing that he is with his sweet wife sharing it with her. I may not be able to attend the sealing of one of my investigators but I plan on making sure that Pascual is sealed to his wife as soon as I can. I can just picture him seeing his Savior and his sweet humble love for him. That is what this work is all about; really bringing people unto Christ.

Pascual at his grandson Bruno's baptism.
This week I am extremely grateful that we were able to help a sweet little family be baptized into the church of Christ. We worked extra hard with them all week to make sure no temptations or problems would arise and to ensure their understanding of all the principles we had taught. The father, Marcelo, is not the most intelligent person, and his kids really aren't either, but even if he doesn't understand everything completely he has a wonderful testimony of obedience. He is so excited to tell us every day that he was able to read and pray and he and his kids have walked to church for the past two weeks on their own. I know he will need help from the members to strengthen his testimony and continue learning but I have confidence that he will continue being a faithful member of the church.

Marcelo, Jorge and Rosana at their baptism.
To be completely honest this week was a little hard. For the first time in many weeks our fechas were not progressing. Right now we are pretty worried about the month of May because we don't have any sure baptisms. We have not found quality investigators and do not have a family that is progressing right now and I know we will begin to see the results from this in the coming weeks. We are searching to find ways to improve our obedience, diligence and planning to improve our efforts to help our investigators progress. I know this week, if we work with unity, we will be able to find miracles.

Ready for church!
We were super blessed this week to find a man named Jose. He is separated and lives alone but visits his kids often who live close by. We taught about repentance in the first lesson and he was so sweet and humble and willing to listen. In the second lesson as we talked about Joseph Smith he told us he already knew the story because he had read the introduction to the Book of Mormon, not even his assigned reading! He has been praying and receiving answers, however, right now his work schedule isn't a sure thing and he has to work some Sundays. We are praying that he will be able to find a way to change his schedule to keep the Sabbath day holy and be baptized this month.

This week we also had an awesome opportunity to go to Catan to help with a special training. Catan is a zone that is just elders and there are very few hermanas who have ever been there so we felt pretty privileged to go. We were selected to help our zone and a few others in some special training that the mission is doing. Our job is to be investigators as the missionaries teach us a 20 minute lesson. We then evaluate them and give them suggestions for how they can improve and they do it again. It is an awesome opportunity for us to help the other missionaries and for us to learn from them. I learn personally from their teaching methods and sometimes see mistakes that I know I have as well.

Training in Catan.
It's been a good week of learning and I'm excited to learn even more this week. We will be pretty busy this week with more training and an HLE meeting so pray for us to make use of the little time we do have to really help the people here.

I know this is the Lord's church. The more I bear my testimony of the restoration the stronger my conviction grows of this great work. We are so blessed to be members of his gospel. We see so much wickedness and sadness here with the people in Argentina and I am so grateful for the strength and security of the gospel. I know there is no other path to happiness. Sometimes it is difficult to be obedient but I know that is the key to eternal joy. I hope we can all remember our purpose and live worthily to receive of all the blessings the Lord has in store for us.

Thank you all so much for your love and support! I continue to pray for you each day and love to hear about your adventures and growing testimonies.

Sincerely your favorite Momma's girl (13 more days!),

Hermana Millet

New bikes!  Yay
P.S.  On Saturday we got new bikes! They are pretty much the most beautiful things you have ever seen. They are white and have baskets! We are in heaven. On Sunday I thought I had gotten way out of shape (which is true) because it was so hard to pedal, but I realized after church, however, that my tire was way low in air. Now that I have air in my tires I am loving it more than ever haha. They are not allowed out of our sight right now because we have learned how much more difficult the work is without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment